Three-dimensional RANS simulations are employed numerically to study flow characteristics around a near-wall circular cylinder for varying gap-to-diameter (G/D) ratios (Where G is the gap between the cylinder and the wall and D is the cylinder diameter) and at Reynolds numbers from 100 to 3900. Pressure distribution around the circular cylinder, base pressure magnitude, separation and stagnation angles, force coefficients and Strouhal numbers were calculated and compared for all of the cases. Inception of vortex shedding can be seen when a sudden decrease in the maximum of positive pressure coefficient occurs. Vortex shedding mechanism and possibility of suppression further investigated via comparison of swirling strength in upper and lower vortex regions through parameter Λ, which signifies vortical activity and balance with respect to the wake center-line and also the flow type parameter, λ, representing the extensional strain dominance in the wake flow and gap flow. Vortex shedding suppression observed for the cases with the high unbalance vorticity content in the vortex regions, namely for Λ ≥ 2.
4. Buresti, G., and Lanciotti, A., (1992). Mean and ﬂuctuating forces on a circular cylinder in cross-ﬂow near a plane surface, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.41(1–3), p.639–650. [DOI:10.1016/0167-6105(92)90476-Q]
5. Oner, A.A., Kirkgoz, M.S., Akoz, S., (2008). Interaction of a current with a circular cylinder near a rigid bed, Journal of Ocean Engineering, Vol.35, p.1492-1504. [DOI:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.06.005]
6. Lei C., Cheng L., Kavanagh K., (1999). Re-examination of the effect of a plane boundary on force and vortex shedding of a circular cylinder, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.80(3), p.163–286. [DOI:10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00204-9]
7. Price, S.J., Sumner, D., Smith, J.G., Leong, K., Paidoussis, M.P., (2002). Flow visualization around a circular cylinder near to a plane wall, Journal of Fluids and Structures Vol.16, p.175–191. [DOI:10.1006/jfls.2001.0413]
8. Wang, X. K., Tan, S. K., (2008). Near-wake ﬂow characteristics of a circular cylinder close to a wall, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol.24(5), p.605–627. [DOI:10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2007.11.001]
9. Lin W. J., Lin C., Hsieh S. C, Dey S., (2009). Flow characteristics around a circular cylinder placed horizontally above a plane boundary, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.135, p.697-716. [DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2009)135:7(697)]
10. Dipankar, A., Sengupta, T. K. (2005). Flow past a circular cylinder in the vicinity of a plane wall, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol.20(3), p.403–423. [DOI:10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2005.01.001]
12. He, G. S., Wang, J. J., Pan, C., Feng, L. H., Gao, Q., Rinoshika, A, (2017). Vortex dynamics for flow over a circular cylinder in proximity to a wall, Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Vol.812, p.698–720. [DOI:10.1017/jfm.2016.812]
13. Menter F. R., (1994). Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications. AIAA Journal, Vol.32(8), p.1598–605. [DOI:10.2514/3.12149]
15. Cao, H., Wan, D., (2010). Application of OpenFOAM to Simulate Three-Dimensional Flows past a Single and Two Tandem Circular Cylinders, Proceedings of the Twentieth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference Beijing, China, June 20-25, 2010.
16. Sengupta, T.K., De, S., Sarkar, S., (2003). Vortex-induced instability of incompressible wall-bounded shear layer. Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol.493, p.277–286. [DOI:10.1017/S0022112003005822]
Salehi M A, Mazaheri S, Kazeminezhad M H. Study of Flow Characteristics around a Near-Wall Circular Cylinder Subjected to a Steady Cross-Flow. ijcoe. 2018; 1 (4) :45-55 URL: http://ijcoe.org/article-1-94-en.html